Saturday, October 29, 2011

Summer 2012

For today’s post, I plan on talking about my plans for summer 2012.  Though nothing is concrete, I do have a general idea of what it is I would like to do this coming summer. 

Go to Chile.

How you may ask? Good question.  You see, the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences has a program titled S.U.R.F., the Summer Undergraduate Research Fund.  With this research stipend which can range up to $3000, I have the opportunity to travel to any country I choose to, or stay in the United States, and conduct research on whatever issue I desire.  The stipend may be utilized to pay for equipment, travel, living expenses, fees and/or other costs that are related to my research work.

Why Chile you may ask? Chile is in an interesting position at the moment.  I’ll be truthful from the get-go and let you know that I am no expert on Chile, far from one actually. I am aware of what has been occurring in the country though.  For the past couple of months, student-led protests have been demanding an innovative framework for education in Chile, a new public education system that will help do away with the high level of inequality in the country.

My plan is to go to the country and interview student protestors, professors and anyone else with a knowledgeable opinion on the topic.  I would like to know what exactly incited these huge, nationwide protests, what has the progress been, what has motivated them to continue to protest after months and what is their ultimate, realistic goal.  My inquiry will not end there though.  Upon gathering all the necessary information, I will conduct an analysis.  Not only will I reflect on my findings, but I will also compare them.  I will compare the protests in Chile to the ones in California.  Nearly two years ago, students protested against the University of California and other public higher-education tuition fee hikes.  The protests seceded after some time with questionable success.  The tuition hikes, on the other hand, remained.  Tuition went up and after a while, students seemed fine with it.  The original push to do away with higher tuition washed away with time.

This is the relationship I would like to study.  I am not an expert right now and I do not expect to be after conducting the research.  I do hope to gain a better understanding of the mentality that drives the students of Chile and compare it to that of those of the United States.  

No comments:

Post a Comment